Monday, December 14, 2009

White Rock Half Marathon 2009

My goal for the White Rock Half Marathon was 1:27.(6:38 pace) It was an aggressive goal but I had run this pace in an 8 mile race a few weeks ago so it seemed possible on a good day. Met Jayna & Brittany at Jayna’s apartment only a few blocks away from the race at 7 AM. We walked over to the start dropped off my bag and made a stop at the port-a-lets. Then we moved to the starting corral. I felt great at the starting line.
At the start I took off right on pace and soon found Shaheen as I was going to run with her. We stayed together for the first 3 miles. During mile 4 she started to pull away. I had my watch on autolap and my mile markers were not on with the course. I will do manual lap in future races. I was a little frustrated as my first 3 miles were below goal pace and I was still 6 seconds back. Gotta love all the mental crap we go thru during a race.

Mile 1 - 6:37 +23 ft
Mile 2 - 6:33 +64 ft
Mile 3 - 6:19 -32 ft (downhill)
Mile 4 - 6:38 -4

I started to really slow down during mile 5. It was a little uphill but not enough to cause such a slow down. I think this mile really broke my spirit and I need to attack and handle things better than that. For some reason I never really recaptured my energy level I had earlier in the race. I was also starting to feel thirsty even though I had no plans to drink during this race. I took a cup of Gatorade at mile 7. Just one of those days when I could not get my legs to go any faster and my energy level was low.

Mile 5 - 7:03 +91 ft (uphill)
Mile 6 - 6:43 +47
Mile 7 - 6:55 +15
Mile 8 - 6:56 -92
Mile 9 - 6:54 +52
Mile 10 - 6:45 -18

At mile 11 I was on the Katy trail and I heard the person tell me I was on 6:48 pace. I knew I would need just a little time to get a PR as I was probably right on my old PR’s pace. Mark K. was there telling me to go and pass those guys so I got on my horse and decided to go. So while I passed 6 or 7 people in the next mile I was not able to hold it. Got a little side stitch in mile 12 and I was giving all I had to hold a good pace at that point. Once I hit the last quarter mile I got on my toes and started to sprint.

Mile 11 - 6:31 -26
Mile 12 - 6:45 -54
Mile 13 - 6:48 -60

Final time was 1:28:52 for a 15 second PR. I am not at all satisfied with that. I have worked too hard to be happy with a 15 second PR. I think my training is fine other than I could go a little slower on some days and keep working on the speed work. The biggest change I need is in my diet. I eat way too many sweets, sodas and fast food. I need to cut that out and lose at least 6 lbs. I put on 4 lbs at Thanksgiving and it is hanging around.

2 comments:

  1. I can see how frustrating this must have been for you, your pals back in 3:20 land all know sub 1:27 was yours to be had, but this stupid racing life...some days you got it, some days you don't. I'm impressed that you were able to pick yourself up though at mile 11, that's no easy task when your legs are fighting you. Here's to the new year and getting some of that unfinished business we left behind in 2009.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know all about the "disappointing PR" race, where you should be satisfied, but you think you had more to give. All things considered that was a solid effort, and you should not view it as a failure, just as motivation to kill it next time.

    As for your diet, you seem to be very disciplined about your training . . . why less so about your eating?

    ReplyDelete